Keith Smith has worked in the skills system for more than 20 years. He has run local skills programmes, ranging from local jobclubs to assessing apprentices.
In recent years he has been leading the development and delivery of the national further education and apprenticeship funding systems. Keith has been a governor of a number schools and university technology colleges.
Director, Apprenticeships, ESFA
The Director, Apprenticeships:
- is responsible for the apprenticeship levy and apprenticeship funding service
- leads the ESFA’s work on policy and implementation for apprenticeships
- responsible for designing and delivering the apprenticeship funding system
- leads the National Apprenticeship Service and the ESFA’s work in engaging employers and employer groups to increase participation in apprenticeships
- encourages colleges and providers to deliver more high-quality apprenticeships, and intervening in cases of failure or high risk